As reading is something everyone has to do a lot of, whether they like it or not, I was intrigued to try out this speed reading course. This is the sort of thing every high schooler should be doing to prepare themselves better for college – and the rest of their lives. I am planning to let my 14 year old work through it as soon as I am done.
***Interested … keep reading – I have one course to give away FREE to one of you.
The course has been created by Abby Marks-Beale, who has written 2 books on speed reading which have great reviews. It consists of 10 modules and you have 90 days to work through them all.
I have decided to blog as I go through it so you can see my progress (or lack thereof) as I do it. So keep checking back to follow my journey!
I signed up and watched the intro video. I was happy to discover there are many different ways to improve reading speed – and this course helps you figure out which ones are best for you to use.
Then I had to do my first test. One can do it online – or you can print off the ebook and read the paper version. I did it online and my comprehension was 60% (sad, I know – it was late at night!) and my reading speed 265 words per minute. Which makes me average. Hmmmm….
I printed off the Progress Chart they supply and recorded my rather poor score from Day 1. I do like the way it is easy to keep track of how you are improving.. hopefully I will improve.
Then on to module 2.
I learned how my brain and eye function when it comes to reading – and learned a neat trick to help eliminate distractions. I had to do two timed reading tests and using this new method I got achieved 448 and 420 words per minute. I was surprised how much I improved!
I continue to be impressed. I learned a new technique and took two timed tests. The first I got 405 wpm; the second I got 480 and 90% comprehension. So much better than my “pre-test”.
What I like about the course
- The modules are short!! I am extremely busy and if I can find time to do this, anyone can.
- Everything is easy to understand and follow
- The reading material is often about speed readingIt is easy to keep track of your progress
- You get an ebook you can download / print off so you have something tangible after the course expires.
- It works!
What could be improved
- Once you complete a module you have to go back to the main course and select the next one – you have been working in a separate browser so that is irritating
- If you leave a module part way through and come back the next day, you can view what you did but can’t carry on without closing everything and logging back in. It isn’t obvious you have been logged out though.
So far – I think it is really useful and I am enjoying using it. Will continue to update my thoughts as I continue through it
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.